A strategic objective of the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs is the provision of venues for community participation in sport and physical recreation activities. The Sports Company, as the implementation arm of the Ministry has therefore undertaken project management oversight for the design and construction of sports facilities throughout the country. All projects are funded through the Infrastructure Development Fund (IDF) and subject to Cabinet approval.
There are three major National projects, nearing completion, comprising world-class facilities cycling, aquatics and tennis. The completion date for all three is scheduled for June 2016.
1. The Aquatic Centre, Couva
- 50m main competition pool
- 50m outdoor swimming pool
- 25m diving facility
- Permanent seating for 700
- Fitness room with sauna, Turkish bath and cold water pool
2. The Cycling Velodrome, Couva
- 250m wooden cycling track
- Permanent seating for 2500
- Warmup rooms for athletes and other performers
- Multipurpose rooms for event organisers/referees/judges
3. The Tennis Centre, Tacarigua
- 1 outdoor centre court with seating for 1500
- 6 outdoor courts and 2 clay courts
- 4 outdoor courts
- Concession stands
In the major population hubs around the country, the Sports Company is mandated to improve accessibility by providing Multi-Purpose Facilities to engender the fusion of sporting, physical recreation and social education programmes for youth.
The pilot facility, located in Sangre Grande, is 95% complete and will include the following amenities:
- Multipurpose indoor courts for basketball, netball, badminton, volleyball, gymnastics
- Football pitch
- Cricket pitch
- Outdoor tennis and basketball courts
The objective here is to provide quality facilities at community level that would enhance the mass participation of persons in sport as well as engender cohesive communities. Three such facilities have already been handed over to the respective Regional Corporation for their further direction as far as management and maintenance.
The three grounds are located at Knowles Street, Curepe; Beaucarreau and Phoenix Park, Couva. The recreation grounds are upgraded with the following amenities:
- 500 seater pavilions with change rooms, showers, toilets, office and meeting space, storage units
- Outdoor hard court
- Outfield with turf wickets
- Jogging track
- Cricket practice nets